Wednesday, August 4, 2010

mon·ey·head


–noun
1. a person who makes money a top priority.
2. my mother.
3. my fiance.

I live a very comfortable life, I always have, I have never been rich, but I would never consider myself poor. This is mainly due to my frugal Chinese mother and her cut-throat bargaining skills when it comes to negotiating cars and odds and ends in Chinatown.

My parents never lived on credit. They do have a Costco American Express card they use frequently and a few other credit cards, but always paid in full by the time the due date rolls around. They never leased cars, only paid in cash. They never had a car payment, they paid off their mortgage in less than 20 years, and yes, we live 5 miles away from the ocean in Orange County and that is impressive.

But, it is rather embarrassing when my mom is in full-bargaining mode.

My sister and I would call her a moneyhead because it feels like money is always on the mind.

I have learned a lot from my mother and that is why my credit score is so high. I guess that's why my fiance takes like my mother too. He always has an idea to make more money. Money, money, money.

Last winter, in the middle of the a blizzard, he was on the computer making fliers. These fliers were for his own lawn-mowing business. He said, it's never too early to get started. Really?! In the dead of winter? All the grass is dead!

Apparently he had this kind of business in high school, which made enough to buy his own car cash down. Impressive. But kind of annoying at the same time.

We are definitely in a good position for being 26... but having a moneyhead around is a bit frustrating when all I want to do is go out and spend some money!

No comments:

Post a Comment