Thursday, August 5, 2010

soap op·er·a

–noun
a radio or television series depicting the interconnected lives of many characters often in a sentimental, melodramatic way.

I love "Days of our lives." Just absolutely love it. I think I was maybe 10 when I started watching. I remember Marlena would be in Stephano's cage and the tag line was always, "Lady in a cage."

Now that I have a regular job, I usually take my lunch hour at noon, walk a block to my lovely downtown apt and watch my show everyday. A few weeks ago, I ran into the Executive Director of this non-profit that I used to work for in the elevator and told her I was going home to see my show. Apparently, it's her favorite soap opera too!

I also added in that convo that Former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall would take recess every afternoon to watch it too. Real fact, I got it off wikipedia.

But I'm moving to a house next week and I won't be going home everyday at lunch. I went into the lunch room a few days ago to see if the TV works, since I've never seen it on, and to my disappointment, it doesn't.

I mentioned this problem to my bosses, John and Pat, over lunch today. (Thursdays are 25 cent taco days at Knickerbockers.) But John says it does! So after we got tacos and a stop at the cookie shop, John showed me how to work the TV in our lunch room. So after next week when I'm all moved into our new house, I can just stay in the office and watch Days of Our Lives on my lunch break!

I told Pat the good news and even mentioned I would never have to leave the office at lunch for the next 10 years. He laughed and said "if that's all that it takes, we'll get you a bigger TV."

This place is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment